BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 17:34:35 CEST 2007

Peter Korsten wrote:
> Well, Apple can stick their phone somewhere that is presumably not their
> intended niche:

While you all know how I feel about Apple (and the noxious programmed
Apple preachers that sprout up everywhere) I just can't shake off the
gut feeling that this destructive news is actually being pushed by
APPLE! to discourage the noob hackers from tampering with their phone
and thereby depriving Apple that bit of extra profit through the locked
in service provider. etc..

I think you'll also find that knowingly doing this to the iPhone,
regardless of what a user has done to it, is illegal most places in the
universe. Class action lawsuits cometh?

The battle betwixt hardware/software developers and the hackers who
choose to alter (or expand) the parameters of intended operation has
always been lost, as shown by even M$ hardware and software techniques
to discourage tampering. All get broken eventually. It is even in the
interests of Apple and Microsoft to make sure they don't ever produce
unhackable hardware. You just know that to be true, for you, but maybe
not for granny or grandpa, who are unlikely to bother with the
'ultramodern pointlessly tacky fancy shit' anyway.
Every hacked piece of gear is to make it BETTER whilst putting in
features that the original developers/manufacturers cannot; legally or
contractually. Who else is going to do it? A judge? A politician?

Duh. I almost make sense ;)