catastrophic failure (CCTV Drive)

Larry Pham EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 16 10:04:38 CET 2007

One of the first things I tried was making a backup of the drive in case these recovery programs messed it up even further. However that was when I knew I was in trouble since no platforms were even able to to detect it to even mount the drive.

  I've tried a bunch of linux distros for data forensics and I can't even get the drive to detect so I can't moun it and so i have not been able to even back it up.

Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> wrote:
  > Thanks for the link Chris. I gave it a try and after 8 hours of
> processing it determined there were no partition information
> fond and
> no data was recovered :(
> I've tried over 10 different recovery apps and they all run into the
> same problem. No filesystem they can recognize.

Hook it up to a linux box and do a sector copy of the entire disk to
some other disk that has the free space. Then analyze *that* image
file, not the original hardware.

Big mistake doing the initialize, I'm afraid. You've probably still
got data scattered on the disk, but no way to get it out. You'll
have to do a raw binary extraction, and that can be a *very*
frustrating exercise when you don't know the format of the original
data. For sure you'll need manufacturer details ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan