The Death of High Fidelity

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Dec 30 02:34:48 CET 2007

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net wrote:
>> http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity
>>
> having finally read the article.
> I'd have to take issue with it's points.
> It's not Things like ProTools and MP3 that make music sound crap and
> stale, it's the musicians...

In many cases, I agree because talent (especially in the composition
department) is no longer the biggest prerequisite, if it's even on the
list in many cases!  It's all about selling product.  Nothing much else
seems to matter.  However, I must say that MP3 and other compression
formats are antithesis to the notion of high fidelity.  They're only
good for saving disk space and reducing transmission bandwidth/download
time.  Anything better than your common garden variety computer audio
system is overkill for MP3 et al and will make the sonic artifacts more
obvious...  Painfully obvious on a true high fidelity sound system.

Cheers,

Bill