learning to actually be a musician

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:20:33 CET 2015

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 00:48, Nigel Kersten <nigel at 4trak.net> wrote:
> I'm not deluded enough to think I'm likely to ever be a great real-time musician in terms of performance, but if you're like me and came at music from an interested amateur perspective, I'm blown away by how much I'm getting out of a relatively small investment.

Nice one Nigel!  Like you, I’ve also had rounds of attacks on my non-musicianship in spurts over the years.  I was lucky enough to have had piano lessons with my grandfather in my youth, as he was a very competent musician  (you can read about him here: http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/5v2/vaughan-terence) .. but when I moved to the USA I lost all contact with that world, alas.  So I’ve been in amateur-mode ever since.

One thing I’ve found to be very useful are the so-called “Fake Books” .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_book .. which I’ve managed to collect over the years .. just sitting down with a few sheets for an hour or so every week improved my abilities immensely.

I’m very curious about what other -bar’ians are doing in this regard, so I hope you guys will also fill in details on this thread ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com