Invitation Music Party October 5th, 2013, Wageningen, the Netherlands - long post, must read

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Sep 11 22:00:27 CEST 2013

Op 10-9-2013 23:27, Gert van Santen schreef:

> Op 10-9-2013 21:59, punkdISCO schreef:
>
>> If you had to choose one, which one is the easiest to then get to
>> Wageningen?
>
> Personally, I would go for Schiphol. The trains are leaving from the
> airport itself, while in Eindhoven, you need to take a bus or taxi to
> the station.

Do not, ever, take a taxi between Eindhoven airport and the railway
station. The bus is many times cheaper and easily as fast, if not
faster. Takes about 20 minutes. It's funny looking, you can't miss it.

There are some other factors you need to consider as well. Eindhoven is
a very compact (not to say: small) airport, so between you getting off
the aeroplane and getting out the door can take as little as a few
minutes, if you don't have luggage. If you do have luggage, the
difference with Schiphol (Amsterdam) becomes even bigger, because in my
experience, you're always waiting an enormous amount of time for your
luggage to arrive at Schiphol.

Walking from the terminal in Eindhoven to the bus takes a few minutes;
from the bus to the railway platform towards Gert is perhaps 100 metres.
In Schiphol, you'll be walking a LOT more. Truth be told, I hate large
airports, or at least anything larger than Malta International Airport.

The flip side of this is that you'll be spending more time and more
money on your train trip in the Netherlands. But more importantly,
because it's (almost?) exclusively budget airlines flying to EIndhoven,
there's a pretty good chance you need to travel to some godforsaken
airport in the UK. It's one of the reasons why I didn't go to Mikael's
bar-meet, because whilst there are direct Ryanair flights between Malta
and Sweden, the "Stockholm" airport they fly to is actually some 100 km
away from the Swedish capital. And no trains. And it arrived late at night.

Anyway, it's up to you. Amsterdam is probably the easier choice, but not
by as much as you might expect.

- Peter