Winter of Korg

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Fri Oct 11 18:20:45 CEST 2013

> My only issue with the MS20 is philosophical:  Why recreate the past with such painstaking detail rather than push the envelope and develop something new? This screamed of a cash grab by Korg, a way to make a product that they knew would be the defacto hipster street cred machine on release day.

I think there is a lot to be said for *why* we are even talking about the MS20 in the first place, and that is: because people love its sound.  Even today its still used in all kinds of music, mostly popular, and is easily a recognisable instrument.  I think, in terms of philosophy, the more pressing question is *Why Not* remake the same thing, again, if it is still useful?  The drive for all-new/all-improved often creates severe usability roadkill.  Is it not true that the analog revival happened mostly because folks *needed*, in fact, 10 years before they could start to understand what their synthesisers could even do?  Synthesizers take a surprisingly long time to 'grok', at least if you're new to the entire concept.  The MS20 is a fat kids synth.

j.