My favourite album of all time.

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Fri Jul 5 19:22:41 CEST 2013

My reply took even longer than Andrew's, but my favourite album of all
time is probably Jean-Michel Jarre's "Équinoxe". Here is a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucN2X-jtxZE

It was my first introduction to synthesiser music, and one of the my
introductions to music in general.

This album is so radically different from pretty much anything else. The
album is a whole, not just a collection of tracks of which 75% is
filler/fodder. There are no song titles either. And the sounds are
unlike anything that constitutes popular music.

It's like an abstract concept album, apparently a day in the life of a
human being. There's literally no weak track (except perhaps the "Band
in the rain" part), and it starts and ends with absolutely blissful
sounds. Especially the first two minutes are flabbergasting, taking you
to some strange and wonderful place.

It's much more ambitious than Oxygène, an album that I never quite
connected with as much as I did with Équinoxe. The sounds are bigger,
the melodies bolder. Those little, strange, throwaway sounds, that are
so typically Jarre, are much more prevalent. The supposedly narcissistic
Jarre is emerging, on his way to his first mega-concert at the Place de
la Concorde.

There are plenty of other albums that are great, such as Marillion's
"Script for a Jester's Tear" (perhaps more so than "Misplaced
Childhood"), or Madonna's "Ray of Light", or Queen's "Innuendo", or so
many other great albums. But none have had such a profound impact on me
as Équinoxe has.

- Peter