My favourite album of all time.

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at upcmail.nl
Thu Jul 4 22:05:58 CEST 2013

Op 4-7-2013 14:48, Andrew Robinson schreef:
> Slow reply, as this is a really tough one to answer... I have had
> a hard time separating out albums that really pushed things
> forwards from ones that are really listenable, and deciding how
> much to penalise albums that have a mix of some of the best
> tracks ever, plus some 'always skip' tracks, like "Welcome to the
> Peasuredome" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood or "Music for the
> Masses" by Depeche Mode. ITunes says I listen to "Geogaddi" and
> "Music has the right to children" the most, but I wouldn't call
> them my favourites. In contrast, I really love "Dawn of the
> Dickies" by the Dickies, which I picked up on tape for 10p when I
> was about 14, but I don't listen to it very often. At the time, I
> was probably more excited about "Flaunt It" by Sigue Sigue
> Sputnik than I've ever been about any album before or since, but
> in hindsight it's a) actually not very good and b) superseded by
> the 12" mixes collection.
>
> Then there are the technically stunning, innovative ones, like
> "Electric Cafe" by Kraftwerk, or "Daft/Who's Afraid of the..." by
> the Art of Noise, or even "Slave to the Rhythm" by Grace Jones.
> Or how about the ones I can listen to on repeat for ages without
> tiring of them, like Eno's "Thursday Afternoon", Schauss's
> "Goodbye" or all the Hybrid albums?
> Ultravox narrowly miss out because I'm ruling out the double
> album tape of "Vienna" and "Rage in Eden" as cheating. I'd
> happily say "A Secret Wish" by Propaganda is in my opinion the
> *best* album ever, and "Violator" by Depeche Mode is the most
> perfect album ever, "Chill Out" the the KLF is the most important
> album ever, and "Heart of Darkness" by Hoodlum Priest is my
> favourite lost gem.
>
> After a lot of reflection (painting the spare room is great for
> that!) I think it has to be something that is quite personal,
> that I feel connected to, and I can't stop myself weighing up the
> quality and diversity of remixes albums have spawned, and the
> great times I have had seeing tracks from the album performed
> live, so I think my favourite album is...

Lots of great stuff here. Some of my favourites: Kraftwerk, Grace
Jones, and of course "A Secret Wish". So awesome. I know you
might not believe me, but P-Machinery was one of my favourite
tracks to dance to :-)

BTW - I think one of you guys (Paul Maddox?) once gave me some
special Propaganda material :-)

The only one I don't know is "Heart of Darkness". Will check that
now :-)

Thanks for your input.

Gert

--