Extreme noob electronic question

Paul Maddox yo at vacoloco.net
Sat Jan 19 13:51:30 CET 2013

Marc,

Right now I'm trying to do a Jurgen Haible wasp filter clone. I choose
> that one because the schematics where easy to find, it runs from 5v
> and has filter CV so I can learn about ota's too. I can also think of
> hooking it to an arduino or a teensy as mcu and have a small
> digital/analog thing to play with.

ok, so for anything "audio" I'd add a 220uF cap as well as the 100nF cap.

> However that one doesn't run properly on 5V DC on the whole audio
> range (it 'clips' wierdly, I guess because the op-amp there act
> strange when you get close to the rails) and so I need to power it
> from 9V and need a 9V->5V regulator for the filter. So I'm planning on
> powering the whole thing from 9V and get a 5V voltage out of that.
> Note that in any case, anything I do right now will possibly fail but
> teach me something.

okdoky, that sounds like a plan.
you do know that op amps normally need a +ve and a -ve supply?
i.e. +9v and -9v Unless you're careful with the biasing and you create a
"virtual" ground.

> I've got millions of things I want to try after :)

it's addictive.

Paul