BBC: Let’s Kill the Internet and Start Over

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Feb 20 19:54:20 CET 2012

Op 20-2-2012 8:49, perry7 at mac.com schreef:

> Do we agree?

It's worth considering the idea, instead of just dismissing it out of
hand. And I can guarantee you that the current, TCP/IP based internet
will come to an end as soon as we reach the point that the total lack of
security or identity costs us more money than is being made using the
internet. Given the vast amounts of money made using the internet,
that's still some way off.

People are always talking about the 'freedom' of the internet, when in
fact they mean 'anonymity'. Freedom is a fundamental human right;
anonymity isn't.

This anonymity has led to a proliferation of expression in countries
which hitherto was unthinkable. It led to Egypt shutting down all
internet and mobile networks about a year ago. (And still it wasn't enough.)

So it's really a blade that cuts both ways. But the increasing hack
attacks, and the basic premise that it is impossible to completely
secure a network, is a really big concern. I think we will see the first
military action following a hack attack within our lifetimes.

And then you have to ask yourself: what's my anonymity worth?

- Peter