Mountain Lion

Andrew Tarpinian evildead at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 21:24:37 CET 2012

On Feb 17, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Paul Maddox <yo at VacoLoco.net> wrote:

> Peter,
>
>> Interesting. Every single other person I know that has an iPhone is lyrical about it. So what makes it rub you the wrong way?
>
> Let's start with the basics;
>
> When I'm on the phone, remember it is a PHONE, I don't want to be deafened by the sound of an email, facebook or text alert sound!!!!

Well for me this does not usually happen because verizon does not do data and voice at the same time, but when I am on wifi it has happened occasionally I think, thought never really bothered me. I see how it could be annoying. Not sure if it is normal behavior or a bug. What you can do maybe is set up a geofence around certain locations to turn off notification sounds.

> I want to be able to change the text alert sound, BASIC functionality on 99% of mobile phones for the last 10 years.

You can, in settings/sounds/ ,if you want custom sounds I believe you just need to change the file name extension on the files- Joost knows more about this.

> The email client GAH!!! Sorry but it's terrible, I have several email addresses and I want to choose which I use to respond on. And Why o Why can't I use the filters? I can set them up on gmail and on mail (OSX mail) so why not my phone mail?

You can change the respond address, just tap the reply address in the reply mail you are composing and you can select.

Yea I don't think it has filters. But I don't think the default email app on android does either, but my memory could be wrong.

The one annoying thing for me is you can't have different sigs for different accounts.

> It's sluggish, 8 times out of 10 when I press the top button to lock it, I can pop it in it's holder and in my pocket before it goes "click" with the lock sound.

That's weird, do you check your running apps occasionally, it should work fine without you having to manage, but sometimes it's good to quit apps running in the background everyone in a while.

> It crashes on me - sometimes when I pop it in airplane mode, say over night, and then turn it on in the morning, I tap "settings" and I get a blank settings page, no way of taking it out of airplane mode, reboot needed.

I get very few crashes with the core apps. If an app seems to crash, go back to the home screen, bring up the app manager (double click home button) and quit the app. Then go back into settings and it should be ok.

> Will I be buying an iphone again? Nope, back to android for me.

It's a personal choice, but I feel the opposite.