iMac or MBP...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jun 11 16:02:28 CEST 2011

Op 11-6-2011 15:21, Martin Naef schreef:

> Given the higher performance and the improved software compatibility,
> that means I'm looking at an Atom based system. I also value my time
> quite highly, and I do NOT enjoy system administration - meaning I'm
> buying something off-the-shelf even if I could save some bucks by going
> the DIY route...

That I can empathise with, but looking at prices, the cheapest you can
get the TS-459 Pro Turbo is over €700, compared to half of that for a
*very* nice DIY system with more memory and two more discs if you want
to. What you don't get is the hot-swap and the little screen, although
there are cheaper cases with hot-swap for four discs. There are probably
also cheaper boards with fewer S-ATA ports, but I kinda like the
Supermicro brand.

Software RAID makes sense, since you'd like to be able to continue to
use your RAID array in case  your motherboard unexpectedly dies.

So for you, €350 isn't worth your time, and there's the support issue as
well. The other day, I installed the first PC I've ever bought (for my
in-laws) that came assembled, and it's quite an enlightening feeling.
Putting together hardware sucks.

But given my positive experiences with FreeNAS (which is really a doddle
to set up), for me it's worth giving it a try.

- Peter

- Peter