iMac or MBP...

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jun 11 15:21:31 CEST 2011

On 11.06.2011 2:01, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
> Beagleboard lacks SATA, otherwise would be great :) unless USB is
> performant enough for Martin's application.

Nope. Definitely not. I'm looking at 4x2TB disks in a RAID 5
configuration connected to a Gigabit Ethernet. All the NAS I've looked
at do RAID in software, and it shows quite clearly on the performance
comparisons: A faster CPU translates into higher bandwidth.

Given the higher performance and the improved software compatibility,
that means I'm looking at an Atom based system. I also value my time
quite highly, and I do NOT enjoy system administration - meaning I'm
buying something off-the-shelf even if I could save some bucks by going
the DIY route...

Hottest contender so far is the Qnap TS-439ProII, although I'm wondering
if I should spend slightly more and get a dual-core Atom instead (e.g.
the Qnap 459). This thing should last for a couple of years, so I'd
rather spend a bit more than spending twice...

> I like the Bifferboard :) 1 watt... but not really powerful enough
> for a NAS. Throughput limited at about 6MB/sec (just enough to stream
> a Blu-ray stream).

Those systems are cool for a variety of applications. But moving a large
amount of data isn't one of them... ;-)

Martin