iPad Midi environment or Other Controller?

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 29 15:59:48 CEST 2011

> I'm curious about the C4 - its discontinued?  But, why can't you
> continue to use it?  Is yours borked, or .. something?
>
> IF it still works, the other alternative would be to extend the
> software support for the thing yourself.  It wouldn't be terribly
> difficult to whip up a MIDI patch/bay/router thing in embedded Linux,
> or something ..

It is discontinued.  The main problem is that while it is a great piece of
hardware, the controlling software sucks.  Fortunately, all communication
with the C4 is via midi including the strings to set the displays etc.
The main problem is that there is no way to do checksums in the strings so
it won't work with a couple key pieces of gear for me which is irritating.

I can write a new software controller for it, I just wanted to make sure
there wasn't something available that would do it.  It does seem that
ultimately something like the iPad would be ideal but right now it looks
like I would probably be doing as much coding in Puredata to interface
with TouchOsc as I would in coding a new controller.  I also think the
iPad needs to be a little larger for this type of application.  I'll
probably end up writing something myself but I have so little time these
days I was hoping to be able to purchase something.

James R. Coplin