Sequencing issues

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 3 08:23:06 CET 2011

On 03.02.2011 05:55, Tony Scharf wrote:
> Which DAW can do this: Route MIDI to an external device while recording
> the MIDI from multiple sources, AND have a soft VST (specifically
> Maschine) play back in sync with that MIDI without needing to go all
> crazy trying to get everything to sync?  Can Sonar do this?  Reaper,
> Live and Renoise all fail this test at various points.

I'm doing very similar things with Sonar 7. Mixing external MIDI and
VSTi is not a problem as long as the audio interface latency is small
(obviously, in a live scenario, latency compensation can't possibly work
unless everything is delayed to the point of becoming unplayable...).
Where things tend to sound out of sync is when I want to mix some audio
from external synths in the box - there the total latencies just add up
too far.

Recording and routing a bunch of MIDI channels is not a problem at all.
I have a pretty large default project set up that routes all my
controller keyboards to the various sources - probably some 30 channels
or so that I mute/enable on demand.

One detail, though: Sonar is the timing master. I never tried syncing
Sonar to an external drum machine.

Martin