Tired

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 2 18:12:46 CEST 2011

I have had the feeling many times before, but never with a feeling of being tired, but always thinking that I am not really a musician, composer, writer, etc -- and that now is the time that everyone will finally notice...

usually, six weeks after we had our premiere and in hindsight, I am quite OK with most of the musics I have created and it always went on and on. So although I still get the feeling of hopelessness everytime I start a new theater project, it has become more manageble...

as for feeling overwhelmed -- I have a great partner and we split most of the awful production work, all the office stuff, writing proposals etc, that makes things a lot more bearable.

It's important though to find time to get inspired, to rest, to find the motivating urge to express something. Music can come out of music, but most great pieces were written *about* something -- Read books, watch movies, listen to people's conversations, read the newspaper, read magazines and make notes of stuff that interest you.

And maybe trying a different approach (ukulele instead of synthesizers?) may get you out of the rut.

Or a good vacation. or as "Sara" from LA Story (with Steve Martin, 1991) put it:

"I'm shattered, but it's nothing that some sleep and a good fuck wouldn't cure, as my sister used to say."

I hope that will take care of that...;-)

Kai