Fall sauerkruat

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 24 18:11:02 CEST 2010

Looking over what I typed there are a couple of things confusing/misstated
on my part.  You need to keep the sauerkraut at 65-70F (18-24C) for the
entire time, not just two weeks.  What I meant to write was that 2 weeks is
the minimum time if you want a really mild sauerkraut.  I like it in the 4-6
week range.  You need to skim any scum or mold that forms on the top of the
water daily.  If you keep things nicely sterilized, you might not need to
skim anything for weeks.  Once you skim, you will need to skim daily as it
is likely the spoon or whatever you use will not be completely sterile and
so you will actually increase the mold/scum cultures.  I do mine daily, if
you forget a day it isn't the end of the world but you really do need to
keep on it.  If you can, boil the skimming utensil first.  Even if you do
end up with a bunch of "bloom" the top layers of whole leaves should protect
you.  Don't let the mold formation put you off if it happens.  Just skim it
and go.  You will know when you taste the kraut if you have a problem and
you probably won't.  I often end up with a thin mat of bloom on mine and it
isn't a problem.  It's a bigger issue with something like dill pickles where
you don't have the protective layer of leaves.

You really need to keep your fermenting vegetables at or below the listed
temp or you definitely will get spoilage.  What you are trying to do is
encourage the growth of lactobacillus and discourage all the other bacteria.
The salt acts to keep the growth down of many bacteria but has little effect
on lactobacillus in low quantities.  Once the lactobacillus is established,
it just pushes out the other bacteria as there is not enough nutrients to go
around.  This is true of any fermented vegetables, not just kraut.  If your
temps are lower than listed, it means more time will be required.  Once you
make your pickles, if you do not can them, they will need to be
refrigerated.  While the refrigeration will slow down the metabolism of the
lactobacillus it will not stop it.  Your vegetables will continue to get
more sour over time in the fridge.  Canning kills the lactobacillus (and
hopefully everything else) and so the pickling process stops.  However, you
then lose the dietary benefits of eating the live cultures.  I eat enough
yogurt and such anyhow that I don't really care about this.  I keep some in
the fridge as the texture is better and can the rest.

James R. Coplin - 郭杰明
University of Minnesota
Department of History