Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 9 22:28:32 CET 2010

Op 9-11-2010 19:01, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> I disagree. And so do many researchers. Nuclear might sound like a good idea until you start thinking of the waste. The only reason, in fact why nuclear can even compete with other forms of energy is because the costs (monetary as well as carbon-dioxide) of getting rid (ie hiding it in a salt mine) of the waste isn't even factored into the equation.

Nuclear may not be a good idea, but it's a better idea than fossil
fuels, and yes, a better idea than renewables. The problem with
renewables is that they're unreliable, or better put, inconsistent.
There's no sunlight at night, there's usually also less wind, and
getting energy from moving bodies of water won't work everywhere. Heck,
lots of places don't even *have* enough water.

For all its faults, nuclear is very reliable and consistent.

> We must get out of nuclear as fast as we can. Oil, coal (and gas, btw) must go just as fast. We need renewable energies everywhere. And we can only achieve this by greatly reducing our energy consumption.

I agree on the need to reduce energy consumption, but it's not going to
happen. Everybody now wants a mobile device (low power, innit?), but
tends to forget the energy required for the massive mobile networks,
massive data centres, all these things we've come to depend on.

Would you be happy to get rid of all your soft synths, your big screen,
your mobile devices, your fast broadband connection used to broadcast
your shows all over the world? How much energy goes into that?

We need to reduce our use of electricity with at least 50%, for
starters, but it's not going to happen any time soon, 'soon' being the
next 50 or so years.

> Also, it seems we will need an intelligent powergrid and electric cars -- their batteries will serve as a huge, efficient and distributed storage for the power that is created but not used during those 22 hours a day that most cars are parked...

I've come to the conclusion that electric cars would be the worst thing
that could happen to the environment. Mind, I'd love to drive a Tesla
Roadster, but for batteries you need rare earth metals that can be found
basically in China and somewhere in the Andes. China is already curbing
the export of these. The monopoly is even bigger than that of oil and gas.

> If you want green, you should go solar. get a provider that guarantees green energy. I am sure they exist in the Netherlands.

Solar is Spielerei for now. Too expensive, too inefficient, too
unreliable in those areas where most electricity is used. Lots of
sunlight tends to arrive in countries that are, shall we say, less
politically stable. Worse off than with the Middle East and its oil.

> But what do you suggest we do about nuclear waste? I think the cost should be factored into the cost of kWh (kilowatt hours, that's the unit we use in .de, I don't know about other countries, probably the US uses kWinches ;) like the costs of maintenance are factored into every other form of energy.

I'm pretty certain that the cost of storing nuclear waste for a couple
of years in Gorleben is significantly lower than the cost of having to
deal with the activists.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for saving energy and using renewables. But
it's naive to think that we can get rid of fossil fuels (and mark my
words, black coal will make a comeback) any time soon, let alone nuclear.

Not unless we cut down on all those things that we find essential, like
personal transport, ever more technology, or the ability to travel
anywhere you like.

And face it, nobody likes to make sacrifices.

- Peter