Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 9 20:31:05 CET 2010

Hi Kai

On 09.11.2010 7:01, K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
> I don't know about the Netherlands. But even in rainy Germany we get
> a mixture of wind and sun. Also when using distributed combined heat

Wind is good. Just not for the base load, because you can't control it.
And no, it's not pretty, and not good for birds either. (But it's good
business for my company...)

> and power plants, biofuels have a very good efficiency for CO2.

Biofuel sounds nice until you actually calculate the area required to
grow it. I can't remember the exact figures, but I thought it was
something like half the US to cover its energy consumption. It's the
same issue with palm oil: It sounds great and green until you realize
they killed most of the natural forests in Madagaskar to grow palm
trees... It's a huge ecological disaster.

> I disagree. And so do many researchers. Nuclear might sound like a
> good idea until you start thinking of the waste. The only reason, in

Surely, that's true, and it's an unsolved problem. But given the choice
whether I leave a tons of radioactive waste or a buggered up atmosphere
for my son to deal with, I tend towards the former.

> Also, it seems we will need an intelligent powergrid and electric
> cars -- their batteries will serve as a huge, efficient and
> distributed storage for the power that is created but not used during
> those 22 hours a day that most cars are parked...

Yeah, there's a lot of talk about using car batteries for energy
storage. It's a great buzzword right now, but nobody figured out how
that's ever going to make sense economically. Given that batteries are
the major weak point and cost factor of EVs, I wouldn't really want to
use that precious resource for mass energy storage. Unless there's a
HUGE leap in battery technology, the only model that makes sense is to
use these batteries to stabilize the grid after they've lost too much
capacity to be used in cars.

As for Smart Grids (that's the label for the grid technologies you
mentioned), it's mostly a buzzword today. It's important, and a lot of
bright minds are very busy figuring it out (some of them work in the
office next to mine, and I do my share too). It's important to make
integration of renewables feasible on a large scale, but I can assure
you that it's no silver bullet.

> If you want green, you should go solar. get a provider that
> guarantees green energy. I am sure they exist in the Netherlands.

Where can you get solar in significant quantities?

As it happens, I believe that among the many projects on renewable
energy, Desertec is among the few that actually offers a realistic
solution. They'd need to cover something like a few percent of the
Sahara desert with solar power plants to cover our energy consumption,
but at least it's within reach from a technology point of view. See
http://www.desertec.org/

It's those kind of initiatives that we should support. Once they're
ready, we can shut down all our dirty plants. The current noise about
nuclear energy doesn't help IMHO.

Martin