LAME woes

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu May 27 01:15:36 CEST 2010

Hey T H-B,

     no worries!

For years I kept postponing the use of LAME although Eric (Schörghofer) uses that for a quite long time with better than good results.

The recent mentioning of LAME here on this list reminded me on it and Eric's move from his old and trusted PoBo to a current MBP (where he had to do the same thing) gave me a go.
Admittedly I'm not sure why AIFF/24 is no issue for him.

I/we also did some reading and listening and I/we share your POV about LAME's quality, hence my wish to entirely switch to it.
Up to now I found it more reliable when it comes to the definition of our sounds.

That  24bit AIFF can't be read is disappointing but not a flaw.
IMHO LAME functions as designed.
I'd really welcome the chance of compiling a more versatile Mac version and also "give it back to the community" but in fact that's too much overhead for me in terms of achieving the original goal.

When Eric's back from his vacation I'll talk to him how he approaches the entire MP3/LAME thing.

so short,  m.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at