Hartmann Neuron

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 8 23:27:03 CET 2010

On 08.03.2010, at 18:57, punkdISCO wrote:

> I am always very sceptical (and certainly don't have much interest) in any
> synth that is a big PC with a custom controller.

But I think Tony is right. Everything that's DSP is basically a large calculator. Making it run on linux isn't a bad thing if the user experience is transparent -- ie the user doesn#t notice and couldn't care less because it just works.

If I buy a synth for 5000 EUR that takes 20 seconds to boot up (as I would expect something based on Linux to be doing, unless it's embedded on a chip which I guess it's not), I'd be uninspired by the time the box is ready to be played. (this is true for my MPC as well, even though I know that no sampler can be insta-on, really)

but the Virus, the Blofeld etc -- why do you think there are software versions (Virus Powercore, Largo) of these? the Virus even used to run on the same Motorola chip used in Protools's DSP-farms. Same same, but different. The hardware feel and the integration make a big difference. To me at least.

Kai