Akai synth station

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 18 00:59:00 CET 2010

Op 17-1-2010 23:44, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> I guess I don't understand the need for objects to be limited. Why
> limit an object to only it's original design if new features do not
> impede it's original function?

It doesn't have to be limited, I just think that even though you *can*
make music on a phone, that doesn't mean that you *should*.

The E72 I've requested (fingers crossed) is much more than a phone, but
even though I could have asked an HTC Magic with Android (doesn't get
much cooler than Google, does it?), I don't like the form factor. For
me, a phone is primarily a communication device. That includes typing,
and I simply hate the soft-keyboards.

> well of course you can make music on it by itself, but the phone
> interface was not solely designed around that. Like computers. You
> can't pick up a laptop and play it like an instrument (well I guess
> you could...) so you add midi controllers. How about a rack synth,
> can't do much with that on it's own. The iPhone/Touch by itself is
> more playable than a laptop or desktop :)

Yes, but I can pick up a Bösendorfer grand piano... well, I can pick up
a trumpet and make music. Or, if I have power and amplification
available, I can pick up an electric guitar or a synthesiser and make
music. It's designed to make music, and it does it well.

An iPhone or a laptop - well, you can install some software on it, and
have it perform synth duties. I could also hook up a plough to my car
and plough the land, but I'd be much better of doing so with a tractor.

Why would I limit *myself* by using a phone?

> Besides apple did not create the iPhone/Touch to be an instrument,
> though I'm sure they thought of the possibility, developers made it
> happen.

Heck, I bet I could turn my car into an instrument. Doesn't mean it
would be a good idea, or cool.

When I saw that YouTube video of four iPhones and eight hands, playing
some song... 'cool' was not the first thing that came to mind.

>> Apple is SO 00's. ;)
>
> yea, 3000 :)

But you'll be dead by then. :)

- Peter