Akai synth station

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 17 23:44:00 CET 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 5:42 AM, Peter Korsten wrote:

> Op 17-1-2010 1:07, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
>
>> how is it ridiculous? a small touch screen computer that you can make
>> music on and plug into hardware controllers? ridiculously cool maybe.
>
> For the same reason I don't like software synths: it's a bloody phone.

I guess I don't understand the need for objects to be limited. Why
limit an object to only it's original design if new features do not
impede it's original function?

> So we come to the conclusion that you can't properly make music on a
> phone (gee whiz, I wouldn't have thought) and what do they do? They
> design a controller to put the phone in! Brilliant!

well of course you can make music on it by itself, but the phone
interface was not solely designed around that. Like computers. You
can't pick up a laptop and play it like an instrument (well I guess
you could...) so you add midi controllers. How about a rack synth,
can't do much with that on it's own. The iPhone/Touch by itself is
more playable than a laptop or desktop :)

> It's always the 'cool' factor with Apple, much more than the
> functionality. Ever noticed that? You don't mention that it would be
> useful, just that it would be cool.

honestly apple designs with functionality as a core component, them
taking that functionality and elevating it to a beautiful design is
what makes it cool.

Besides apple did not create the iPhone/Touch to be an instrument,
though I'm sure they thought of the possibility, developers made it
happen.

> Apple is SO 00's. ;)

yea, 3000 :)