Retuning?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 4 16:10:40 CEST 2009

Peter Korsten wrote:
> So the question is, is the chromatic scale the way it is because people
> prefer those intervals, or I am conditioned to listen to them?

It is the way it is because it is too difficult to make nearly all
instruments (and make music) with 'proper' pitch relationships. You are
100% conditioned to accept them as normal, because it is practically all
you hear.

If you can tune a guitar with the 5th/4th previous fret and next string
or computer tone to tune up to, when your pitch is off, you will hear
beating in the sound, then a flattening of these beats when it
approaches standard tuning. As things are, as soon as you start to
combine single notes into chords, or even move up and down the
fretboard, it doesn't take a genius to realise that this perfectly tuned
guitar is far from perfect.

There are various 'schools' of 'perfect' tuning, most are to produce
this perfect tuning with no beats, OR, to create pleasant sound
utilising this beating effect. Throughout history, many changes of
concert pitch have happened but, as you can imagine, it is quite an
upheaval to do so on a global, western scale. Many composers experiment
at some point outside the norm and these western tunings don't even
apply to the majority of historical tunings and scales of the planets
population anyway!

The rest of it is just a shifting approximation of whatever one can get
away with without being labelled unable to tune ones instrument,
sometimes along with other variably in tune instruments, let alone play
it pleasingly ;)

Or something....