Retuning?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 4 20:51:27 CEST 2009

Whew, I was just about to start a long spiel, but the Dong saved me.

I would add, if you tune a synth to say, Barnes-Bach or whatever, it sounds
"wrong" to my ears, and that's because I've become accustomed to hearing equal
temperament my whole life, much as one gets used to hearing a particular accent
or a language.

Having said that, many physical instruments have non-linearities, so, as high
harmonics travel faster through a string than the fundamental, a piano's
harmonic series is slightly sharp. This is more true in uprights, because this
enharmonicity is greater when the ratio of a string's thickness to its length is
higher. And to make a piano sound in tune with itself, the notes are naturally
tuned slightly sharp. Every piano being different, the skill of a piano tuner is
to (given the particular requirements already implicit in the equal tempered
scale) make the piano sound beautiful/musical by adjusting the tuning of the
higher notes so that these coincide in a certain way with the harmonics of lower
notes. Wonderful stuff. Very hard core. Grand pianos are popular for orchestral
music, not just because of their loudness and projection, but because they can
be tuned less sharp wrt themselves, ie closer to "ideal" tuning, and hence, on
average, closer to the tuning of the orchestra as a whole.

What is wonderful about an orchestra, is that all the instrumentalists with an
instrument that can adjust its pitch, are constantly shifting, not to
necessarily achieve exact harmonic relationships, but to employ a certain sound
arising from the degree of detuning with their neighbours or those instruments
currently sounding in the performance.

"Tuning In: Microtonality in Electronic Music" is a really excellent, humourous,
light and yet serious introduction to microtonality. For me, it's the bible.

http://is.gd/3WN5n

Tony (HB)