Midi to analog clk

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 11 18:16:53 CEST 2009

Tom Adam wrote:
> Now I'm thinking of adding a semi random clock but I have no idea of what I
> actually want or how to use it;-)

I think you're doing something interesting, but I have a feeling that
you'll need a slightly more sophisticated approach. First of all, you'll
have to make sure the total tempo stays constant (I think your code is
fine in that regard). But then, I'll probably give different variations
to the individual beats - like 1 should probably be rather precise, but
then the others might introduce a bit of "groove". Also, your approach
only ever delays the pulse, it's never early.

I'd probably start by getting a precise timebase by measuring the timing
of the incoming midi message (some kind of phase-locked loop). Then
synthesize the necessary pulses according to a beat-aware algorithm that
moves the timing around randomly.

Martin