Dell 2209WA

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 8 10:37:42 CET 2009

Martin Naef schreef:

> My screen (a much older Dell 20" TFT) has this as well - I actually
> find it highly practical for plugging in things temporarily,
> particularly memory sticks. I'm worried I might knock USB things
> sticking out of the front of the computer (which sits on the floor),
> so having the two ports on the monitor is good.

Yeah, I know. But I have at least four USB devices on my desk or monitor
connected permanently: the mouse, the keyboard, the gaming keyboard and
the camera. So two of these have to be connected to the computer anyway,
and Tyan are not particularly generous with USB connections: two on the
motherboard, two via a bracket, and two on the front of the computer.

But hey, now I can connect the card reader and the steering wheel, and
not having them stick out of the computer.

> Have you tried this? I did it once at work (22") but found the aspect
> ratio a bit weird - I think it would work better with the old 4:3 form
> factor.

It's perhaps good if you're retouching a photograph of a skyscraper, but
otherwise, you're right, the aspect ratio is all wrong.

> That's the effect of the analogue connection, not the screen. I found
> that anything over 1280x1024 becomes immediately obvious.

Still, someone at work has the same monitor as I do (at work), but
connected via DVI. (He's got a docking station and I don't.) There is a
difference, but it's not the same as this screen. Especially if you move
a bit to the side, the colours immediately change.

> Glad you're enjoying the screen!

I am. It's just a lovely thing. Given that before I used a 17" CRT, this
is a bit of an improvement. :)

- Peter