Dell 2209WA

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Dec 8 08:37:59 CET 2009

Hi Peter

Quoting Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com>:
> In that regard, it's strange that two of the four USB ports for the hub
> are on the side of the screen. So you have this really nice screen, and
> some ugly cable sticking out of the side. That doesn't make sense.

My screen (a much older Dell 20" TFT) has this as well - I actually
find it highly practical for plugging in things temporarily,
particularly memory sticks. I'm worried I might knock USB things
sticking out of the front of the computer (which sits on the floor),
so having the two ports on the monitor is good.

> You can easily turn it in all directions and even pivot it, so you can
> work in portrait mode. This is purely mechanical, though, so you need to

Have you tried this? I did it once at work (22") but found the aspect
ratio a bit weird - I think it would work better with the old 4:3 form
factor.

> What strikes me about this screen - and I have to admit that the TV and
> the screen at work, a Dell 22" TN screen, are via analogue connections -
> is that everything is incredibly sharp and crisp. You have to be careful

That's the effect of the analogue connection, not the screen. I found
that anything over 1280x1024 becomes immediately obvious.

> If you watch a DVD, you see the limitations of the DVD standard. I don't

True. The resolution isn't particularly high, and compression makes it
even worse. Most people don't mind, but if you look for the artifacts
you can easily spot them. Blu-ray is a totally different world.

Glad you're enjoying the screen!

Martin