Qustion to the minds of the bar

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 2 02:59:33 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Joost Schuttelaar
<joost at joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:04 , Tony Scharf wrote:
>
> nice filename ;)

heh..I am not known for subtlety..

> So, yeah, typical mixing in a DAW will just be summing floats or integers. However, DAWs (and softsynths) do different things in their bus structure, and in the output stage for example when things start clipping.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if drumsamplers for instance did a bit of waveshaping (soft clipping) to get a bit more volume and oomph out of them. And I'm sure many of them have limiters at places in their bus structure.
>
> So yeah, some things sound different.

This is *exactly* what I would think...he talks about DAWS, but thats
not what we were talking about.   This guy jumps into threads all the
time, acting like he is king of the board...and people TAKE his advice
like gospel.  You can find threads where he actually truly believes
that his commenting on a certain synth, can cause prices to rise on
eBay.  I mean...seriously?

Tony