Qustion to the minds of the bar

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 2 02:52:03 CET 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:04 , Tony Scharf wrote:

> Ok, so I am having a bit of a disagreement with someone on a message
> board.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=37698973

http://www.noisetheorem.com/files/FuckYouDon/FuckYouDon.png

nice filename ;)

So, yeah, typical mixing in a DAW will just be summing floats or integers. However, DAWs (and softsynths) do different things in their bus structure, and in the output stage for example when things start clipping.

It wouldn't surprise me if drumsamplers for instance did a bit of waveshaping (soft clipping) to get a bit more volume and oomph out of them. And I'm sure many of them have limiters at places in their bus structure.

So yeah, some things sound different.

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL