Test? Is it safe?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 14:51:38 CEST 2009

Chris Strellis wrote:
> If electricity is 25p per kwH (can't remember exact figure) than means a 100W bulb left on for 10 hours will cost you 25p.
> A 3kw heater left on for 10 hours would set you back £7.50.

Electricity is accumulative ;)
In reality, my 3kW hot water tank set to about 50-60C costs ~30p per
day. Let's not poop about, that's about £250 per annum.
Storage heaters cost A LOT. Like £600 per winter on their own.
I only have two.
I'm beginning to think they are either shit or faulty because the house
is never hot.

I think my main priority this year is to further insulate where
possible.. (woolly jumper)

> I have solar panels in the back garden that just about manage to drive a pond fountain ;)

It doesn't help that there are so many untruths told, mostly by the
likes of the Daily Mail and spread about by rabid grannies.
Classic one is the standby modes on microwaves and cookers etc..
My rabid mother kept ranting on about standby modes wasting most of my
electric. I measured the microwave and it uses about 1 Watt of power for
it's 24 hour clock. So let's see, it's left on a lot so without using a
calculator that's £2 a year. Thanks mum. That's enough for 2 cheap gut
rot beers but not a packet of cigarettes.
Cooker clock standby is similar. Even this (underclocked) core2 computer
uses just over 100W, less when the monitor stands by and it's not on
24/7. I'm going to use my eeepc more for pottering and keep the battery
topping up with solar. That could save ~£50-100.

Fridge is not very good at all, generally. Can only turn it down so far
unless we switch to dried hamster food.
Washing machine is ok without drying. It has a very short cycle I use
with low heat and little water. Hang out clothes this time of year.
Peanut butter sandwich!!
Dishwasher I forgot to measure, but I think it's a waster because it
dries dishes with heated element, doh. I think a fan in a dishwasher,
somehow, along with heat would dry the dishes quicker using less energy.
Apple and plum crumble!!

Yeah. That'll save the planet.
No thanks to the inventor of the storage heater :P