UML + some UI

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 10 21:31:26 CEST 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 17:58 , Mikael Hansson wrote:
> Happy easter everybody!
>
> Just a small inquiry to our coders:
>
> To what extent do you use UML in your coding? (none, planning,
> documenting, codegeneration...)

None :) I mean, for bigger systems you need some kind of architectural
design. And for that you can use the UML standard. For me it just
doesn't feel right. UML seems to attract the wrong kind of people.

Class diagrams, use cases and sequence diagrams really go too far for
me. What you need is some sort of global sketch how components within
your system interact (and take care of least-information).

> Any hints of what to think of when making a program with an
> easy-replacable user interface. I'm supposed to make a Library DB
> application with the option to add and remove different items, search
> for them with different keys, borrow and return by itemid.
>
> I'm supposed to do two interfaces, one textbased and one with Qt and
> the
> underlying code should be the same for both. The plan is to make an
> abstract LibInterface, which the other inherits from.

No inheritance :) just something which talks to the other. Basically
an UI which does requests to the database via your interface.

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL