New SID Synth

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 23 21:58:17 CEST 2008

Paul,

Not sure I'm 100% correct since I don't own any of them. However, a little
history lesson: In the old days, since those chip where basically uber
limited, people had to use tricks to make them sound more 'interesting'
(people were writing whole tunes & FX on one chip!) .

One of the big + of the setup was that those chips were connected to a main
CPU that was able to change their parameters really fast creating complex
timbre coming not from only the chip but rather from the combination of a
fast controller and the chip. Hand in hand. These techniques are what make
music on gameboy/sid/NES interesting (hum, at least for some of us) and the
root what I was trying to achieve -and still am- with lgpt: applying it to
samples. Maybe think of it as a modulation like LFO/Envelopes but a lot more
complex since they where completely programmable.

A standalone SID has a rather interesting filter and kind of a lovely sound
but you get around it pretty quickly: the power of using the SID lies in the
ability to control it fast. For exemple, the sid station from elektron was a
rather dull implementation since it was 'only' midi powered and you couldn't
get very creative in the tone programming, only rely on the 'classic' synth
parameters. Plus it was ridiculously overpriced.

I think your "friend" must mean that: hyper sid is controlled by midi (and
therefore has a slow update possibility) while his must have a programmable
onboard controller that allows for more creative sound bending/shaping. Note
that the fact it is not controllable from midi sucks IMHO because you should
be able to "program" the modulation sequences and then take it with you just
like a nord mod.

Hope this helps clearing some shadows.
Marc.