New SID Synth

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 23 21:32:24 CEST 2008

Hey all

Just noticed this new SID synth:

http://www.hypersynth.com/index.html

I have a HardSID VST which sounds frickin ace.  It has a few shortcomings,
not least the guy who actually makes it is a complete fascist.  For example,
he just pointed out on his Yahoo list that advertising is forbidden when I
simply expressed my interest in this new sexy SID synth.  Since when does
discussion = advertising?  I did point out the fundamental reasons where the
HardSID is better.

Anyway, it looks better than my HardSID in a few respects:

-          Nicer/simper interface

-          It is a stand alone MIDI box that can optionally be controlled by
a VST

-          It has full sized audio sockets and, they are balanced

-          It will soon have an optional dedicated hardware controller

-          Front panel backlight brightness can be controlled by
user-assignable MIDI events (MIDI-driven Visualization) (YAY!!!)

Things I don't like

-          Only 2 LFOs (not a prob for me but will put some people off)

-          Only 1 SID chip!!!!  The HardSID can hold 4. This really sets it
apart from the competition.

-          No arp!!

-          No 64 step sequencer thingy so Im guessing its not going to be up
to percussive sounds

-          No Wave in

-          The audio sucks! I sure it will sound just as good but the demos
are awful

Mr HardSID did explain this stuff:

"Also, don't confuse a simple MIDI message sender panel (a remote
controller) with a synth engine with 8000Hz update rate.

Of course it can't have a wave in pin, since MIDI has a baud rate of 31250
bits per second. If you count the error/parity stuff, it can't be more than
roughly 3125 bytes per second. Which is less than one SID register at
8000Hz. (0.39 registers at 8kHz)"

[some of the above prob relates to the fact that the HardSID does not have
any MIDI, rather, its controlled via a VST frontend over USB]

I have asked the HardSID list before what this actually means to someone who
does not have a pointy head, but I have never really understood their
replies.  Im guessing it would account for why my HardSID sounds like
complete filth and the HyperSID sounds like a poor VST?  (Either that or its
just their demos are shite).

SIDs rock..

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU

"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"