Bhut Jolokia

Ron West EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 3 13:55:28 CEST 2008

> Can someone explain to me the fascination of these super-hot peppers
> beyond the sports aspect? Is the pain worth the taste? Are these peppers
> just hot, or do they have a flavour that can't be achieved with
> traditional means?

I like hot food because hot peppers are good for you, they clear my
sinuses, and they give me a euphoric "high" that I get from no other
food.  Well, wasabi and horseradish does it too. The fruity flavor of
a habanero can't be beat. Dr Weil says the pain will give way to
"something between pleasure and pain that enforces concentration and
brings about a high state of consciousness." I can totally agree with
that. After a spicy meal I feel totally focused.

> I am asking this from the perspective of someone who used to eat very
> hot curries when young, but now reacts rather badly to hot peppers and
> considers *taste* is a lot more valuable than pain.

Jolokia peppers won't be a regular part of my diet though. The pain
outweighs the flavor. I'll see how the curry paste turns out and see
if it's worth it. I'll still be growing them every year because the
pepper is really pretty.

--
Ron

"I'm schizophrenic, and so am I."