a report to the -bar: metalab pocket pianos get knobs and midi

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jul 27 16:12:50 CEST 2008

> Was waiting to know the status of that. I found a friend of a friend
> that is
> interested and, unlike me, *can* solder so I ordered 2 and will
> start hackin
> in soon.

great!  thats really good news!

>> we added MIDI, and it works great!  so whatever synth you run on the
>> PP (FM, OctARP, etc.) can now be controlled remotely by MIDI Note and
>> CC change messages .. so i've got not just 4 nice knobs and 25
>> buttons
>> on the little machine itself, but the faderfoxes too.
>
> Great, that was for sure the next step I was thinking of too. That
> way you
> can keep the onboard buttons for configuration, get a shitty m audio
> 25 keys
> and stuff the board into it. :)

yup!

> I'm certainly going to ask you for some leads there in not too long
> time.

no worries, we're preparing all of this so we can do a synth-diy gig
at metalab in the next few weeks, so its all going to be open and
public ..

>> i added a 'page mode' to the PocketPianoFM interface code, as well as
>> 12 new wavetables (thanks marc!)
>
> you should thank paul M really.. I just did the postman.

thank you paul m for those waves marc sent me!

> I'll be very happy to see how much this baby will be able to handle.
> If it
> could handle one voice of the pig, I'd be troumendously happy.

we worked out that in the PocketPianoFM module, for example, we've got
14k left free, and we're using
about 1/10th of the processing power of the Arduino during the sample-
rate interrupt .. so there's some room there for interesting things.

i for one will be very happy to hear one voice of the pig!

>> didn't take any pictures or make any recordings yet, because we're
>> not
>> finished getting things upgraded to where we want to jam a bit, yet,
>
> That is the lame part of the mail Jay... who cares if it is jam or
> not, LET
> ME HEAR THE FONK. Serioulsy, even if experimental, i'd love to get
> sound
> bytes.

well i'll do a bit of a sample of it this week, its just there is
stuff to do before it really rocks out.. ;)

> Great news anyway and very excited to be able to lay my hands on the
> sound
> code of that baby soon.

you can download the sound code from critterguitari already, and our
stuff is here:

https://whatever.metalab.at/user/kintel/Arduino/ArduinoSynth

;
--