a report to the -bar: metalab pocket pianos get knobs and midi

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jul 27 12:15:17 CEST 2008

Hey jay,

Was waiting to know the status of that. I found a friend of a friend that is
interested and, unlike me, *can* solder so I ordered 2 and will start hackin
in soon.

>we added MIDI, and it works great!  so whatever synth you run on the
>PP (FM, OctARP, etc.) can now be controlled remotely by MIDI Note and
>CC change messages .. so i've got not just 4 nice knobs and 25 buttons
>on the little machine itself, but the faderfoxes too.

Great, that was for sure the next step I was thinking of too. That way you
can keep the onboard buttons for configuration, get a shitty m audio 25 keys
and stuff the board into it. :)

I'm certainly going to ask you for some leads there in not too long time.

>i added a 'page mode' to the PocketPianoFM interface code, as well as
>12 new wavetables (thanks marc!)

you should thank paul M really.. I just did the postman.

>which totally weirds out the FM but sounds *fantastic* to my ears, and
>Marius added all the hardware bits to get MIDI rolling and then
>proceeded quite smoothly with adding a MIDI parser/handler into
>PocketPianoFM, too.

I'll be very happy to see how much this baby will be able to handle. If it
could handle one voice of the pig, I'd be troumendously happy.

>didn't take any pictures or make any recordings yet, because we're not
>finished getting things upgraded to where we want to jam a bit, yet,

That is the lame part of the mail Jay... who cares if it is jam or not, LET
ME HEAR THE FONK. Serioulsy, even if experimental, i'd love to get sound
bytes.

Great news anyway and very excited to be able to lay my hands on the sound
code of that baby soon.

Marc