a report to the -bar: metalab pocket pianos get knobs and midi

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 26 19:48:00 CEST 2008

hello music-bar,

so at last nights friday-night hack/jam session at metalab, which
lasted until 4am this morning, me and marius worked on our little
critterguitari pocket piano kits, which no doubt you all remember
being bored about me talking about last week.

we added MIDI, and it works great!  so whatever synth you run on the
PP (FM, OctARP, etc.) can now be controlled remotely by MIDI Note and
CC change messages .. so i've got not just 4 nice knobs and 25 buttons
on the little machine itself, but the faderfoxes too.  oh, and i put
some very lovely silver knobs on both pocket pianos, so that they're
at least very fun to play with now.

i added a 'page mode' to the PocketPianoFM interface code, as well as
12 new wavetables (thanks marc!) that can be user-selectable, and
which totally weirds out the FM but sounds *fantastic* to my ears, and
Marius added all the hardware bits to get MIDI rolling and then
proceeded quite smoothly with adding a MIDI parser/handler into
PocketPianoFM, too.  i made some headway on producing an envelope
generator as well, will pick up on that next now that i've got page
mode.

didn't take any pictures or make any recordings yet, because we're not
finished getting things upgraded to where we want to jam a bit, yet,
but rest assured its on the horizon.  these little machines are
providing hours of truly inspiring, low-grade, ultra-low-power,
*fun*.  70eur,- worth of great fun!

though, the PCB is a bit annoying in its bare-naked minerality, and so
i really want to put the case together soon.  so we're not 'playing'
yet so much as still constructing, alas.  while we were hacking away
at all this in the metalab hardware workshop, the CNC was grinding
away making new parts for the next stage of the Meta-RepRap project,
and i was of course constantly reminded with every grind and groan of
the machine (hours of it) that a pimp panel and a completed case for
both machines is just a few vectors away from being a reality.

with the prospect of the CNC and the existing reprap (which is
experiencing mild technical difficulties and is thus undergoing
extensive testing too) making a few interesting 3d control-surface
elements, we may just have the stompin'-est less-than-100-euro
synthesizers we can find to play!  we'll take these kits and use them
as a basis for a metalab hack session in the future, so thats also
something nice to look forward to on the horizon: a public synth-diy
workship in vienna!

stay tuned, i'll spunge more on this next week as we continue the
software crusade and get a few other nice bits of stuff ground
together too ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan