Digital Mixers: what have you got your eyes on?

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 24 20:59:13 CET 2008

Hey Niall

> Would you elaborate on this further, please?

Certainly will, me old cock sparra..

- Channels 1-16 are the normal analogue channels.  Each one has a normal
insert, pre A/D converter
- Channels 17-32 come from either ADAT or TDIF inputs and have no analogue
inserts (obviously)
- the 8 buses are purely digital and can be routed to one of two TDIF
interfaces or, one of 3 ADAT interfaces.
- there are no analogue inserts of the 8 buses or indeed, anywhere else on
the mixer other than the first 16 channels.
- my 328 has two software DBX compressors which can be inserted almost
anywhere including the buses (I never use these)

> I read this as saying that there are inserts for individual inputs

Correct, first 16..

> but compressing a mixed signal requires a spare, wet channel {ooo-er}.

Not 100% sure about the question.  To compress a mixed signal (a bus) you
can either:

1) Use 1 of the 2 software compressors
2) Route the bus to an analogue output (I have at least 20 outs on mine as I
have two SoundCraft TDIF expander boxes that came with it).

Let me know if you have more questions..

ta

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk