Miniversion of Virus TI

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 14 19:06:16 CET 2008

> I always wondered why they went with USB1.1 on the TI and not 2.0 (or
> with firewire for that matter).

coz its cheap and easy to interface with one of the virus' internal
processors.

i argued long and hard for firewire, but it was just too big a
challenge to architect.

> Probably a cost issue, but it seems
> to me that there couldnt be that much cost difference between the two.
>  Of course...what do I know?

i can tell you that USB on the TI was an easy hack, but firewire or
USB2 would've required serious engineering .. not something that they
wanted to invest in, or felt comfortably doing, safely.

> On my TI desktop, I use the USB only as a way of getting MIDI to/from
> the PC and to use the integration software only as a librarian.  I get
> lower latency using is SPDIF output into my sound card and one of
> lives 'external instruments' than I do when I use the USB to buss the
> audio over.

my personal opinion was, all along, that people would start to do
this if USB didn't work well enough..

;
--
Jay Vaughan