12.1 & Audiences

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 24 03:37:27 CET 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Martin Naef wrote:

>>> Come to Glasgow then...
>> is there a deadline?  ;-)
>
> You'll never know - though it's unlikely that I move away too quickly.
> If you want to plan a quick detour around Synth-DIY, that'd be
> safe. ;-)

hey, sounds like a plan!   ;-)

> The system is calibrated so we can play back
> recordings at exactly the same level they were recorded -

meaning the loudness impression is supposed to be the same!?
so just the temperature, wind and smell is missing ... sounds neat!  ;-)

> and we have
> recordings from train stations and very busy underpasses...

I just thought of Star Trek's Holo-Decks. Soundwise.

Is there something like a blind spot?
I assume that's the mic position?
But it doesn't matter since that's the listeners position later on.

>>> I recorded the concert on an Edirol R4-Pro (four channels).
>>
>> so you needed 3 of them synchronised via SMPTE? (I had to look up
>> what that is)
>
> Ahh, no, just one - I think I need to explain what Ambisonic is (also:
> google for it).

doh! didn't do my homework!   -(

> But you can also just use the information to "simulate" and derive a
> range of coincident microphone placements: Stereo, or any kind of
> surround. So it's quite handy for multi-purpose recordings: You just
> record the sound field, and then later on you can choose the target
> medium.

what would be the approach when you don't do field or location
recording but do a sondtrack, electronic music for an installation or
such?
It the first glace (admittedly I got to read some stuff) it looks very
appealing then instead to have to handle lots of channels it's just 4.
I assume there is software available which allows to place single
tracks in the soundfield.

   gotta do some reading  ...

      Thanks! :-) Michael.