cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 21 16:56:53 CEST 2008

> It's not that I don't believe you but my experiences, both past and
> present, seem to contradict yours.

Its okay that there are differences - my work for a synth mfr provided
a different economy of scale, perhaps, than yours and as you know from
your experience, prices vary vastly across different markets ..

> If you know of distributers willing to sell parts required to build
> one off panels for this price, PLEASE share their names, numbers and
> contact details, I'd *LOVE* to reduce the cost of building my synths.

I believe the old maxim applies: Shop until you get the price you
need.  If you think its not worth time spent shopping, then thats
another thing entirely.

> Here's an example based on my own experiences. The Tempest voice
> module, one off was 400 UKP to get a PCB made and assembled (actually
> same price for up to 20).

That was bloody expensive.

> If I went to China, I could get a 1000 made
> and populated for less than 50 UKP, but I *HAD* to buy 1000 of them.
> They would not do any quantity LESS than 1000.

What if you went to Hungary, like the Germans do?  Did you shop
there?  Please keep in mind that the UK prices for things electronic
*are always more exorbitant than their European compatriates* due to
the very nature of the worthless UKP, itself.

> Music gear is too expensive, but I don't think the answer for cheaper
> gear is always going to be DIY.

I don't think DIY is the big fat answer to synths, the universe, and
everything, but it sure is cooler to see a performance by someone who
made their own synth than someone who is playing factory presets on a
dinosaur.  And I, for one, am /sick to death/ of hearing presets I
recognize from the 'pro synth' days, all over the world.  Not trying
to force an absolute; just state an opinion.

> So our opinions are based on a different set of circumstances and life
> experiences, but, that's what opinions are.

Exactly.

;
--
Jay Vaughan