cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 21 16:48:09 CEST 2008

Jay,

It's not that I don't believe you but my experiences, both past and
present, seem to contradict yours.

> Opinion: you can manufacture a synth like the Virus or Blofeld for
> eu250 worth of parts (DISCLAIMER: This opinion was formed based on
> hard facts.)

YES, if they buy them in lots of 1000.
If you know of distributers willing to sell parts required to build
one off panels for this price, PLEASE share their names, numbers and
contact details, I'd *LOVE* to reduce the cost of building my synths.

>Opinion: you can sell such a product for almost 10x what
> you spent on it.

Agreed yes, it's entirely possible, if you build it in multiples of a
100's or you have a totally niche product.

Here's an example based on my own experiences. The Tempest voice
module, one off was 400 UKP to get a PCB made and assembled (actually
same price for up to 20). If I went to China, I could get a 1000 made
and populated for less than 50 UKP, but I *HAD* to buy 1000 of them.
They would not do any quantity LESS than 1000.

>  Opinion: the time has come for less expensive music
> gear to be taken up by the youth currently entering the scene and used
> to make amazing music, "professional" or otherwise.  In summary, long
> live DIY, death to the dinosaurs!

I agree with you, the more DIY the better, it encourages new thinking
and new sounds.

Music gear is too expensive, but I don't think the answer for cheaper
gear is always going to be DIY.
That's based on my experience as a DIYer of some 20 years.
I've never run or worked for a company capable of building 100's or
1000's of synths.
So our opinions are based on a different set of circumstances and life
experiences, but, that's what opinions are.

Paul