live 7 and midi - still not right

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Dec 14 14:26:02 CET 2007

I think ableton hates midi.  Either that, or they just hate me.

I havnt purchased the upgrade yet, but was playing with the demo.  I
have verified that there is latency with MIDI notes going through
live, but not audio.  If I play a key on a keyboard with local
control, the note plays with indistinguisable latency - I hear it
right away.  if I play the same keyboard from another keyboard thats
going through live, it gets about a quarter to half second delay.  If
I hook the instruments directly with no computer at all between them,
I get the near zero latency again.

I thought MIDI timing was one of their big 'improvements' in this
version.  Apparently, they didnt really improve it, but decided to say
they did (in my country, we call that a lie).

I was really excited to upgrade, but now I am really not sure its
worth it to me.

I should mention that I have several older programs that do NOT have
this issue at all. Sonar 5 and Cubase SX3 do not have any such MIDI
input~output latency issue that I have ever experienced.

its *midi*.  simple..stupid..honest..MIDI.  how hard can it really
honestly be to take the MIDI input from one place and shuttle it to
another?  certainly not has hard as doing the same with audio, which
live does very well...

Oh well.   Guess I am saving some money this upgrade season.

Tony