Balanced and unbalanced

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Tue Jun 7 00:43:41 CEST 2022

Right,

So, in the midst of the worst back problems I've ever had, and whilst
waiting for spinal surgery (no idea when), my MOTU 24Ai arrived. There was
one, new in opened box, for a good price on eBay.

Yay! 😀

This thing has 24 analogue balanced inputs on three 25-pin D-Sub
connectors. It also has different kinds of connectors, green with 72
pentagonal sockets, but I'm not going to bother with those.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, all of my synths have unbalanced outputs,
and that's a potential problem, because most ready-made DB25-to-jack looms
are balanced.

Considering that the cables would be max. 60cm/2ft, could I risk it to get
balanced cables? There is a retailer, Custom Lynx, who can make unbalanced
cables on request. But they don't specify how they're wired. And balanced
cables somehow feel more future-proof.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this specific scenario, or one similar?

- Peter