A4000 and SCSI issues

Matt Seil xeno6696 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:21:54 CET 2022

Oof... this has been hell.

I have an old SCSI For Samplers setup.  The version of this that comes
closest to working is:

DB-9:
HD = 0
CDROM = 1

Spyrus CF device
MCDISK = 7

A4000 = 6 (factory default)

(I have yet to see if this works with my K2661 added into the mix.)

The symptom that was infuriating was this:  The very first time I loaded
samples from CDROM (when the Spyrus was on ID#2) it worked great.  After
that, any time I tried to access the disk menu or record menu--at
all--the A4k would hang.  Until I turned off the other SCSI drives.  I
did a factory reset:  Behavior stayed the same.

At the present moment, I can navigate and mount/unmount disks alright,
but now when I try to load programs from CDROM, it either hangs, or
complains about not reading the disk--which it can at least do well
enough to load program names without artifacts.

I have also tried:  Disconnecting the spyrus entirely and terminating
the DB-9.  There are two SCSI ports on this, and the use of either
results in the hanging navigation behavior.  Before I try an exhaustive
SCSI walk... does anyone have troubleshooting advice?