New headphone time

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:25:54 CET 2022

> oops, I mean to reply: yeah, crazy how speaker/headphone products can seem to be so expensive, but then again it's pretty meticulous stuff being built.

The equipment needed to match the pairs of diaphragms - in both headphones and microphones - is pretty sophisticated.  We build all our own stuff here in Vienna, involving lasers and carefully calibrated machines - many other manufacturers rely on the Chinese ability to churn out these diaphragms and plates - Focal have their own facility, like Austrian Audio, and do a lot of their manufacturing locally - which is why their prices more accurately reflect the cost of development..

Still, 3000 bucks for a set of headphones is pretty much a rich fools game.  That’s just priced for ego, not quality.

j.
—
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com