Amiga music-making

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Apr 17 18:59:01 CEST 2022

Hey Jammer,

> I still don't know what to make of JavaScript after all these years.
>
> I mean, how can anyone big up a language like JS that is so "good"
> they had to make another entire language/interpreter to shove between
> the developer and "the code". TypeScripts very existence is a
> testament to how horrible it is to work with large JS projects.

JavaScript allows mediocre developers to write code that works most of
the time. It doesn't complain about trivialities such as type safety.

One thing I've learned in my career is that there are just really,
really a lot of mediocre programmers around, who will never rise to
expert level, because they're not weird enough (they cannot think like a
computer) and because of business pressures (it had to be completed two
weeks ago).

> This all day long. Fire up Node and start a *tiny* project and it'll
> install hundreds of megabytes of packages. It's terrifying in so many
> ways.

Ah yes, fun times. In my previous job, the focus was shifting from Java
and some .NET to full-on .NET and front-end. There are some reasons for
dropping Java in Malta, but I decided that moving on was the better
option for me. I just don't enjoy it, mostly because TypeScript is like
putting lipstick on a pig. It's a much better looking pig, but it's
still a pig.

- Peter