Favourite wavetable synth?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sat Nov 20 12:29:45 CET 2021

Op 19-11-2021 om 23:49 schreef James Coplin:
> The Iridium is a beast. Super deep yet surprisingly easy to get around
> on. I have a PPG Wave 2.3, Microwave I, and Microwave XT. I'm
> seriously considering dumping the Microwave I and XT since I have the
> PPG and the Iridium makes them largely superfluous.

That's not surprising, really. Tony is lyrical about the Iridium as
well, but he is more into sound design than I am. It's the sound of the
MW2/XT that I love, but listening to other demos, that kind of sound can
be had from other wavetable synths as well.

> I wouldn't worry too much about the CEM chips in the Microwave but
> also wouldn't suggest running one down unless you have your heart set
> on it. It is amazing but there are other wavetable synths in the
> world. The M is almost a highly recommended but the price point is a
> non-starter for me.

Yes, looking at the Peak, it's exactly half (€1,222) the price of an
Iridium (€2,444) at Thomann. The M sits somewhere in between (€1,744).

I actually prefer the brighter sound of the MW2 over the MW, with
similar patches. So the whole analogue/digital debate doesn't bother me
too much. Every single synth I have is digital anyway.

Also, I've tried to go for bargains, although this didn't always work
out with the Proteus 2000 ROMs. An MW2 would double the top price I've
paid so far, and everything else (Peak, M, Iridium) is considerably more
expensive. I'm still a bit reluctant to spend that much.

Anyway, I'm keeping an Excel sheet where I keep track of audio outs and
MIDI in/outs. MIDI isn't a problem (I got 10 I/O) but with my current
list, which contains stuff I have and stuff I want, I come to 18 ins.
And that's a bit of an awkward number. It would help if the Waldorfs
would send their audio over USB, but I don't expect that to happen.

- Peter