Musical preferences

Matt Seil xeno6696 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 00:55:04 CET 2021

That's a fair question given that while growing up Music played a
central role in my "identity."

I'm far less bounded by those set of rules as an adult, but I too have a
tendency though I've traced it to being something a bit more generic:
dark and moody.  A prime example of songs at opposite genre spectrums
would be "Code Against the Code"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTb4eRLE2Vs by Katatonia contrasted with
"The Lone Deranger" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxwtm3_FXY4 by
Vildhjarta.  Both songs made me snap to attention and they have some
similar feels. I would have said that minor keys were mandatory as well,
but the Vildhjarta song is in Aflat Major.  Which floors me because it
doesn't sound like a "major" scale to me.  (But I'm also a music theory
neophyte.)

I just got back into music after a 16yr break, and I would say that I
"like" alot more than I used to, its rare that I find something I
"love."  It's not the polish... despite his success in the 90s it would
be difficult to say that NIN is "mainstream." And Reznor's work is
super-polished.

I guess as I reflect on the question:  I don't care as much whether or
not something is "mainstream" or not.  I'm probably less likely to
really love a mainstream song though because I'm attracted to
experimental newness.  I loved the mix of industral and rap on this
track from Ghostmane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPD12h6tJik

You probably didn't want someone to write this much and I'm sorry for
that.  I just haven't really sat back to reflect on this question in
awhile.

IF any of those bands ended up being super famous making millions of
dollars, I don't think I'd like those songs any less.

Here's a mainstream song that I can't stop listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFy03i_LRO8

I would consider that more "pop" than anything else but it's a great song.

As for what I'm starting to write since such a long break, very mixed
bag right now.  I have one song that sounds like Atari Teenage Riot, and
the most recent is something that sounds like Prince would have written
back in the Purple Rain days.   (I will of course share, once I get the
ideas fleshed out more.)

I haven't quite gotten to your list yet.  I will, I love new music!